Wednesday, September 5, 2012

New Beginnings

        Quick summary of the week's events...  Survived the 20+ hour drive to Houston with some great Joyce Meyer cds, a healthy sampling of Lion King tunes, and the expected amount of bickering/differences of opinion.  Apparently my mom isn't as keen on incredibly cheap motel prices in exchange for the smoke, sticky surfaces, stains, and dirt smudges.  My philosophy--as long as we don't die.  Her philosophy--dying would have been better. Moved in and settled with a super cool roommate who is as obsessed with Batman as I am with Spidey.  No car and living 20 minutes away from the theater in a gated community--never thought that would happen!  Thankfully that makes all of my friends and family feel a little bit safer with my lack of inhibitions, but I'd be sleeping over in a back room of the theater since it sounds like I'll pretty much be there every waking moment anyway.  Went to church on Sunday with my dear friend Hannah Rode and volunteered with her brother at his church on Monday.  Started work at the A. D. Players yesterday.   My main focus during the day as an Acting Intern will be PR (today that meant a lot of *COUGH* organizing... I was praying to God for help the entire time... ha) and the Theatre Arts Academy with afternoon acting classes with the artistic/founding director Jeanette Cliff-George, an 87 year old woman with tons of talent, spunk, and a beautifully spiritual connectedness to theatre/life.  It might be a while before I'll be able to perform since a few of the first shows were already cast before I got down here and there's a toooon of incredible talent within the company already, but performing isn't why I'm here anyway.  Yeah, that's what I love, but what I love more is God and following his leading--this is where he lead me, so I'm ready for whatever he has in store for me! (Which, at least somewhere in the future, I do hope includes some stage time... ;D).

        Alright, time to put a magnifying glass to my quick glimpse at the whirlwind of events and get my take on this whole transition. Thankfully, living in the present is something I've been focusing on for years, so going with the flow hasn't been too hard on me.  But I must say, for one of the first times in my life I really do miss people.  My community in Holland is incredible.  I really found a place and purpose there.  I miss my friends, mentors, teachers, neighbors...  The people I've met are incredible, but they're not my family.  Houston is a great adventure, but it isn't home.  I know if this is supposed to be long-term, it'll get there, just like it did in Holland, but if not, this is such a great learning experience and such a beautiful reminder that no matter where we are in the world we aren't really "Home" yet, anyway.

        Going to church on Sunday was such a beautiful reminder of this. Right before Hannah texted me to go to church, I was overcome with a huge sense of smallness.  My first night I wasn't sure how to be myself around people--I felt alone, shy, and blank--a wallflower taking everything in instead of engaging alongside everyone.  The next morning I had an incredible devotion.  God reminded me that I am valuable simply because I am HIS, not because of my personality, talents, or anything I have stashed in my bucket of uniqueness.  I am loved because I am his.  This was such a humbling yet freeing reminder that gave me the boost of confidence and energy I needed to step out with Hannah's church community, and I did!  It was such a beautiful morning--people sharing God's word, worshipping, and fellowshiping.  I c
ouldn't stop smiling!  I was overcome by the re-discovery of God's eternal and omniscient presence.  He is with us ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE.  And not only that, but God's family is everywhere!  It was so amazing to me how quickly I connected with the community at Hannah's church, simply because our purpose being there was rooted in Christ.  We are a family!  Sure, this part of my family is more like going to a reunion with third-cousins you've heard about on occassion, but, nevertheless, family they are!  And when we had communion, I was reminded that I am connected to my friends and family back home by that table.  I got to share a meal from afar with so many of the people I cared about.

        So in summary?  I'm doing well.  No, It's not easy, but it's good. Why?  Because God's in it.  He's with me, behind me, and before me. He ain't lettin me go, no sirreeee.

**Butterfly sighting of the week:  Jan, Hannah Rode's mom, brought me to her house for dinner last night and there were butterflies hanging on the door and above the dinner table.  Apparently she bought them in honor of her sister who passed away a few years ago and told her kids that anytime they see a butterfly to think of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Cup of Water

For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward. Mark 9:41 ...